I’m into messy necklaces. It’s not an original idea. When I was doing trend research for spring/summer 2016 one of the trends was a bunch of messy necklaces, like REALLY messy. Take a look at how Chanel styled a spring outfit with a tangle of necklaces.
Now one could look at this picture and say any number of things.
- High waisted white full pants? I’m not giving up my skinny jeans, no way!
- She looks twelve!
- What is she wearing? A sports bra?
- That’s a big ole mess of necklaces. Good grief!
- Why don’t they make fashion for real people?
Okay, all (almost) valid points. But here’s how I look at a picture like this. I say no to the pants, no to the top, but I study the necklace situation and think about how I could modify that look and add a little something different to my spring outfits using this as inspiration.
Now you’re going to see that I mean REALLY modify the look. I am working with this trend at about a 10-20% level. (You might do it at 40-60%!)
I’ve discovered that messy necklaces do a few things:
- They add layered interest to the neck area. Why not give people something to look at near the base of your neck rather than fretting about your neck? You’re intentionally giving positive attention to an area that gets negative attention.
- They create a focal point that has more oomph than a single chain or strand of pearls. It looks more interesting.
- It gives you a reason to pull out your favorite necklaces, group them together, and wear them in a new way.
- You look stylish and cool!
I’m having fun with this. My clients are having fun with it. I think maybe you’d have fun with it too! So let me break it down with a few illustrations, okay?
Sunday’s messy necklace combo
I wanted to make my Chanel sweater with floral appliqués pop at the neck so I started with something quite opposite from my pretty sweater. I got out my chunky black link necklace. I added a gunmetal simple chain that I wrapped four times around my neck. I doubled another chain that has some gold beads in it. I liked the way it added some glisten to the group. The big black link necklace would have been too hard but these other two necklaces softened up the look.
Messy necklace in Piedmont
I have often worn the two necklaces together on the right but last week I decided to add my gunmetal lava necklace. They all come to about the same place on my neck. One moment the lava necklace is on top, another time the pearl slides out in front. Whatever they decide to do is okay by me. It’s messy! It’s supposed to be messy!
The pearl and crystal messy necklace
This oversized pearl necklace (center) is a favorite. I bought it with Mom on our last shopping trip together. When I put it together with my outfit I felt like it was so big. I wanted to add another scale to break it up a bit. I picked a double strand of pearls, mixed with crystal and chain. I twisted it around my neck and it filled in the space nicely between the top of my blouse and the big baubles. I felt joyful and sparkly all day.
So REALLY, don’t you think you should try this yourself? Do tell me how it goes!